- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.eVyALSMd.dpuf born and raised: Forbidden Fruit

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Forbidden Fruit

It is beginning to look like apple season at my dad's house, and I lovingly accepted a large paper bag overflowing last week.
Apples are such simple and delightful fruits. There are over 7,500 varieties know, unfortunately we usually see about 12 at the farmers market, and maybe only four or five at a supermarket. I would love to try an Arkansas Black, with dark red nearly black skin and yellow flesh. Or a Pink Pearl with light green skin and bright pink flesh, what an amazing looking applesauce that would make.
I had so many apples I decided to make applesauce, and one apple crisp, I couldn't resist.

I had never even heard of a food mill until a few years ago, and it is one of my favorite kitchen contraptions. I cut my apples in fours and cook them until soft, scoop them into the food mill, twist, and voila, applesauce. You don't need to core!
I like to add a little cinnamon to my sauce, and I made so much that I added some maple syrup to some, some vanilla to others, and strawberries to more still.
Nick mentioned pork chops might be in our near future.

For the apple crisp I rarely stray far from the tried and true Gunheim recipe.

Although, I may have grated some very sharp cheddar on to the crisp before I put it in the oven.

Unfortunately there was not an after picture, as we ate it all.

Dreaming of pork chops and applesauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment