- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.eVyALSMd.dpuf born and raised: If You Can't Take the Heat

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

If You Can't Take the Heat

We have been sweetly promising our tomato plants that they would surely see some hot sunny days. We have been hoping we would have some nights in witch we could walk around jacket-less. Our dreams came true... and then some!
Our outdoor thermometer obviously doesn't quite work, but it sure felt this hot.
Olive did this most of the day.
We did too, to be quite honest.
We were invited to a barbecue for dinner, which we were grateful for because I was dying to make a peach cobbler, yet there was no way I was staying in the house after I turned the oven on.
These peaches are amazing. You just cant find ripe peaches in the stores. Sweet peaches with soft flesh that juice and drip all over your face and down your arm when you take a bite. They are so perfect, I did almost nothing to them for this simple cobbler.
Biscuit dough. Whatever your favorite recipe is, for mine I used 1 1/2 cup flour, 6 T cold butter, and 3/4 cup heavy cream as well as a pinch of salt and a pinch of sugar.
Peaches were my favorite as a child, and when I have a good one now all the desire for that particular sweetness I craved as a kid comes back.
Romance your peaches, then slip off there skins. Slice.
I mixed a tablespoon or so of flour with my peach slices, and a tablespoon of brown sugar. You could add more sugar, but I felt these lovely peaches really didn't need much, and I wanted there own sweetness to shine.
Arrange peaches in a dish, I used a pie dish.
Arrange your biscuits on top. Bake at 375 for 40 minuets or so.
Until the peaches are bubbling and the biscuits are beautifully browned.
We have an abundance of squash so I decided to bring a summer squash dish too.
I simply thinly sliced some squash, thinly sliced an onion, added some fresh basil in layers. I poured 1/2 cup heavy cream and 1/2 cup milk over the top, salt and lots of fresh black pepper and baked also at 375 for 40 minuets or so.
While you are waiting for that to bake find a cool spot, bring a large glass of ice water and relax.
When it was ready we brought our baked goodies, as well as some wild plum sorbet, and cold white wine to our neighbors house. We sat outside, ate too much, talked too loud, and very much enjoyed ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment